Thursday, October 18, 2012


For those enduring suffering, I pray this encourages you as it has me and others.  Taken from: A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, by W. Phillip Keller, page 148 (keep in mind that we are the sheep here):

“Yet when the gracious Holy Spirit invades a man or woman, when He enters that life and is in control of the personality, the attributes of peace, joy, longsuffering, and generosity becomes apparent.  It is then that suddenly one becomes aware of how ridiculous are all the petty jealousies, rivalries, and animosities that formerly motivated their absurd assertions.  This is to come to a place of great contentment in the Shepherd’s care.  And it is then that the cup of contentment becomes real in the life.  As the children of God, the sheep in the Divine Shepherd’s care, we should be known as the most contented people on earth.  A quiet, restful contentment should be the hallmark of those who call Christ their Master.
                “If He is the One who has all knowledge and wisdom and understanding of all my affairs and management; if He is able to cope with every situation good or bad, that I encounter, then surely I should be satisfied with His care.  In a wonderful way my cup, or my lot in life, is a happy one that overflows with benefits of all sorts.
                “The trouble is that most of us just don’t see it this way.  Especially when troubles or disappointments come along, we are apt to feel forgotten by our Shepherd.  We act as thought He had fallen down on the job.
                “Actually He is never asleep.  He is never lax or careless.  He is never indifferent to our well-being.  Out Shepherd always has our best interests in mind.
                “Because of this, we are actually under obligation to be a thankful, grateful, appreciative people.  The New Testament instructs us clearly to grasp the idea that the cup of our life is full and overflowing with good, with the life of Christ Himself, and with the presence of His gracious Spirit.  And because of this, we should be joyous, grateful, and serene.
                “This is the overcoming Christian life.  It is the life in which a Christian can be content with whatever comes his way (Hebrews 13:5) – even trouble.  Most of us are glad when things go well.  How many of us can give thanks and praise when things go wrong?
                “Looking again at the round of the year through which the sheep pass in the shepherd’s care, we see summer moving into autumn.  Storms of sleet and hail and early snow begin to sweep over the high country.  Soon the flocks will be driven from the alplands and tablelands.  They will turn again toward the home ranch for the long, quiet winter season.
                “These autumn days can be golden under Indian summer weather.  The sheep have respite now from flies and insects and scab.  No other season finds them so fit and well and strong.   No wonder David wrote, “my cup overflows.”  But at the same time, unexpected blizzards can blow up or sleet storms suddenly shroud the hills.  The flock and their owner can pass through appalling suffering together.
                “It is here that I grasp another aspect altogether of the meaning of a cup that overflows.  There is in every life a cup of suffering.  Jesus  Christ referred to His agony in the garden of Gethsemane and at Calvary as His cup.  And had it not overflowed with His life poured out for men, we would have perished.
                “In tending my sheep I carried a bottle in my pocket containing a mixture of brandy and water.  Whenever a ewe or lamb was chilled from undue exposure to wet, cold weather I would pour a few spoonfuls down its throat.  In a matter of minutes the chilled creature would be on its feet and full of renewed energy.  It was especially cute the way the lambs would wiggle their tails with joyous excitement as the warmth from the brandy spread through their bodies.
                “The important thing was for me to be there on time, to find the frozen, chilled sheep before it was too late.  I had to be in the storm with them, alert to every one that was in distress.  Some of the most vivid memories of my sheep ranching days are wrapped around the awful storms my flock and I went through together.  I can see again the gray-black banks of storm clouds sweeping in off the sea; I can see the sleet and hail and snow sweeping across the hills; I can see the sheep racing for shelter in the tall timber; I can see them standing there soaked, chilled, dejected.  Especially the young lambs went through appalling misery without benefit of a full, heavy fleece to protect them.  Some would succumb and lie down in distress only to become more cramped and chilled.
                “Then it was that my mixture of brandy and water came to their rescue.  I’m sure the Palestine shepherds must have likewise shared their wine with their chilled and frozen sheep.
                “What a picture of my Master, sharing the wine, the very life blood of His own suffering from His overflowing cup, poured out at Calvary for me.  He is there with me in every storm.  My Shepherd is alert to every approaching disaster that threatens His people.  He has been through the storms of suffering before.  He bore our sorrows and was acquainted with our grief.
                “And now no matter what storms I face, His very life and strength and vitality is poured into mine.  It overflows so the cup of my life runs over with His life…often with great blessing and benefit to others who see me stand up so well in the midst of trials and suffering.”

No comments:

Post a Comment